Welcome to College Prep Elementary!
College Prep Elementary (CPE) is a K-6 charter school located in Saint Paul, Minnesota. We provide a specialized focus on college and career readiness. We have a small school environment to accomplish our mission of preparing every student to succeed in college and career. CPE utilizes research-based, proven methods to promote English language development and literacy, mathematics proficiency, science mastery, and engagement in the learning process. We provide our students with a strong educational program within a learning community that builds self-confidence and awareness of diverse cultures and ideas.
We partner with Concordia University Saint Paul, University of Minnesota, the University of Saint Thomas, and with community organizations and families to ensure that our students receive ongoing support College and University preparation. Through extensive academic preparation and community collaboration, we give our students the tools to succeed.
Learning Fair and Kindergarten Round-Up:
Friday, May 3rd, 2013, 6:00-8:00 pm
Come join us for the Learning Fair and Kindergarten Round-Up! The date has been changed to Friday, May 3rd from 6:00-8:00 pm. As you visit each classroom, you will be watching STEM in action! The classes will be showing you a project they have done this year centered around our STEM focus.
If you are interested in CPE for your child who will be entering Kindergarten next year, this will be a time when you can come see what we are all about! During this time you will have an opportunity to visit with the Kindergarten teachers and check out our curriculum. Kindergarten is such an important time for your child. We will help you with any questions you may have!
Popcorn and pop will be sold. You will have the opportunity to win a fun basket just by visiting each of the classrooms. We will see you there!
School Hours - 9:15am - 4:00pm
Office Hours - 7:30am – 4:30pm
How To Enroll at CPE
College Prep Elementary (CPE) is tuition-free and open to the public. We welcome prospective students and families to our school to experience our learning environment. We are currently taking applications for all grade levels, Kindergarten through Grade 6.
CPE ADMISSION POLICY:
College Prep Elementary is a public charter school open to any student in the state of Minnesota. All students have a right to an education, however registration is required. A student application can be found on the school website (www.cpe-k6.org) or when parents do a walk-in. Parents may also call the school to enroll by phone or a representative can be sent to a student’s house to describe the benefits of enrolling at College Prep Elementary.
As a public charter school, CPE's admission policy is governed by federal and state laws. Under MN statute§ 124D. 10 subd, 9(3), if the number of applications exceeds the capacity of CPE's program, grade level, or building, students must be accepted by lottery. For any grade level where we have more applicants than spaces available, we will conduct such a lottery to determine admission for that grade. Applicants who do not receive classroom placements in the lottery will be put on a waiting list in the order they were selected in the lottery. They will be notified promptly if a space becomes available. Per MN state statute, each school year is a separate enrollment period. Those students on a waiting list for one school year will have to submit a separate application the following year.
At CPE enrollment preference will be given to a sibling of an enrolled CPE student. We define siblings as children that share a parent, guardian, and/or caregiver. Children of CPE employees are given preference in this same manner.
Students currently enrolled in the school are automatically enrolled for the following school year.
It is College Prep Elementary School's policy that children applying to Kindergarten must turn 5 years of age on or before Sept. 1 of the year they will be starting school.
College Prep Elementary does not discriminate on the basis of sex, religion, color, national and ethnic origin in its admission or educational policies, athletics, and other school administered programs. (Minn § Stat. 124 D.10, subd. 9).
College Prep Elementary will comply with all applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules and regulations, including, without limitation, the constitutional provisions prohibiting discrimination on the basis of disability, age, race, creed, color, gender, national origin, religion or ancestry.
College Prep Elementary agrees that it will operate, in all respects, as a non-sectarian, non-religious, non-home-based public school. The school will not be affiliated with any non-public or sectarian school or religious organization.
STUDENT ENROLLMENT POLICY: (PDF download)
- Annually, College Prep Elementary establishes the number of sections to e offered at each grade level the following school year, and the maximum number of students to be allowed in each section.
- The CPE application period runs from June 23rd (the day after the annual enrollment lottery) to 4 pm on the last school day prior to the June 22nd enrollment lottery.
- During the year-long application period, the application deadline and lottery date are advertised on the CPE website and during monthly school tours.
- In the month leading up to the application deadline, PE reminds parents of current students that sibling preference is available to younger siblings only if the applications are received prior to the application deadline. After that date, any further applicants, siblings or not, are placed on the bottom of the waiting list.
- Prior to the lottery date, the school registrar and one or more Board Members create a list with the number of open seats. Names of siblings are entered, and the remaining open seats are counted.
- On June 22nd, the names of all students for who CPE has received timely applications that are on a waiting list are put in a container. All sibling envelopes are marked so that if one application is pulled, the puller knows to enroll the sibling(s), too.
- At 6 pm, the lottery is held at CPE. In front of an audience of any parents or prospective parents who choose to attend, names are pulled from the container, one at a time, and entered on the list of available seats.
- When all seats are filled, the remaining names are pulled from the container, one at a time, to create a waiting list.
- After the enrollment lottery is complete, all seated students and waiting list students are asked to complete an enrollment form.
- CPE checks all applicants to ensure kindergarteners will have turned 5 prior to September 1 of the following year. If not, they are asked to follow the "early entrance" request procedures.
- As applications continue to come in after the lottery date, names are added to the bottom of the waiting list
- As any admitted students drop from the enrollment, all prospective students on the waiting list move up one position, and the student at the top of the list is enrolled.
CLASS SIZE GUIDANCE
The College Prep Elementary School Board recognizes that there is a relationship between class size and student achievement and this relationship varies across grade levels, among subjects, and by methods of instruction. Therefore, the recommended class size shall be determined by several variables including grade level, classroom space, and budgetary constraints.
Keeping all of these variables in mind, the following class sizes shall serve as a general guide for the organization of classes.
The Director has the right to increase class size based on need by bringing the proposed increase to the school board for approval.
Higher class sizes will be allowed for the scheduling of special classes such as physical education based on grade level and classroom space.
To enroll at College Prep Elementary for the 2013-2014 school year, click here(pdf). If you have any questions about our admissions process or the school, please call Ms. Nao Thao at (651) 605-2360
The school uniform is: Green polo shirt (long or short sleeves – no sleeveless) and black or navy blue pants (no shorts or skirts).
School Supply Lists:
Click here to view the CPE School Supply Lists for each grade level.
College Prep Elementary Performs at University of St. Thomas